Why Choose Organic Bedding For Kids
If you've been reading our articles so far, it would come at no surprise our preference for organic cotton as the material of choice for various baby, kids' (and adult for that matter) products. Kids' bedding items, like crib or bed sheets, pillow cases, mattress protectors, blankets etc. are no exception.
So why is kids' bedding material quality important?
Here are a few reasons to consider:
- Kids, especially infants, sleep a large portion of their day. Newborns in particular sleep between 14 and 17 hours a day.
- Bedding has direct contact with kids' skin, therefore, kids can be exposed to any residual chemicals used in material production, dyeing and finishing processes. You may be surprised to know that bedding (sheets, blankets, mattress toppers and protectors, etc.) can contain some pretty nasty stuff: formaldehyde, pesticides, flame retardants, phthalates, bleach, petrochemicals, toxic dyes and more.
- Children are especially susceptible to effects of chemicals due to their developing immune and endocrine systems as well as sensitive skin.
- Natural materials such as organic cotton are naturally highly breathable, which is especially important during the infant stage.
So what should you watch for when it comes to crib or bed sheets, pillow cases, etc.?
- Avoid the following features, as they mean bedding was treated with chemicals you don't want in your kids' bed or in your home in general: wrinkle-free, anti-static, easy-care (likely contains formaldehyde, which is a known carcinogen)
- Avoid bedding made from synthetic or blended materials (i.e. polyester, microfiber, etc.) and choose natural materials like cotton, wool, linen, silk, hemp, bamboo, etc.
- Look for reputable certifications, such as:
- GOTS (Global Organic Textile Standard) - the highest standard certifying the product to be organic, and the end-to-end production process meeting strict requirements.
- MADE SAFE - verifies that products are free from a large variety of known toxic chemicals and made from safe ingredients.
- OEKO-TEX - similar to MADE SAFE, the standard ensures products are made from safe ingredients and don't contain a variety of known toxins.